Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I want a baby girl.

Not now, but when I'm married and absolutely in love.
I want to name her something pretty, like Lily, Rose, or Ella.
I want to play dress up with her, sing with her, and play sports with her.
I want her to live and learn, to love and be heartbroken.
I want to teach her how to do her makeup and look natural.
I want her to play sports and be healthy.
My daughter will have a 50% chance of having PKD.
I will drag her to the doctor for testing every two years.
She will have to drink more water than her bladder can handle.
She will hate it.
We will fight for our cause.
She wont take life for granted.
She will be beautiful.

Polycystic Kidney Disease is one of the most common life-threatening genetic diseases. It affects an estimated 1 in 500 people, including newborns, children and adults regardless of sex, age, race or ethnic origin.
A normal kidney is the size of a human fist and weighs about a third of a pound. However, with the presence of PKD, cysts develop in both kidneys. When many cysts develop, the kidneys can increase in both size and weight, sometimes weighing many pounds each. There may be just a few cysts or many, and the cysts may range in size from a pinhead to the size of a grapefruit.

There is no cure for PKD.

No comments:

Post a Comment